[Tig] DI workflow, capabilities and requirements

Steve Shaw digital.praxis
Sat Mar 26 16:29:57 GMT 2005

Hi Greg,
Backs from the pub, after a few pints of 'wife beater', so accept any
grammatical errors...

The calibrated dailies approach is potentially cheaper than the traditional
model as the colourist tends to be the most expensive part. Also, self
calibrating transfer engines will be cheaper than telecines as they require
less functionality. I'm impressed by the Cintel dataMill as the present
likely system of choice, and its book price is a lot less than traditional
telecines. It can also scan film at SD, HD 2K and 4K, all calibrated to
cineon LOG specs. However, you don't need to scan dailies and the final high
resolution on the same system as any transfer devise that works to cineon
specs will be well within acceptable tolerance if calibrated correctly.

Due to costs the present approach is still to scan for dailies/offline at HD
or below, then re-scan for the online at 2K (4K?) using a pull list from the
offline. We are all waiting for speed and storage capacity to allow full 2K
scanning for dailies that can be used for the offline and online, but that's
some time away, although for Silence Becomes You we did obviously capture
all material in full resolution on digital media - 25TB in total, so we are
getting there.

We work to NAS discs for near realtime/near online storage, with full
realtime discs for the active DI work and LTO2 for archive. There is a full
workflow description on www.digitalpraxis.net.

All the best,

Steve

Steve Shaw