[Tig] DI workflow, capabilities and requirements

Christopher Noellert cnoellert
Sun Mar 27 20:43:40 BST 2005

On 3/26/05 7:13 PM, "Rob Lingelbach" <robling at ucla.edu> wrote:

> Thanks to Pete Challinger of Edifis for supporting the TIG.
> --
>
> On 2005-03-26 at 13:37, Steve Shaw (digital.praxis at virgin.net) wrote:
>
>> The problem with a colourist peforming a dailies transfer is thet they will
>> always massage the image to look good. A colourist is human after all. And
>> this is actually the last thing the production needs. They need to know what
>> is actually being shot, as well as what the final possibilities are.
>>

> the real world is not like that Steve with all due respect.  Dailies
> transfers are done often with more attention to detail than the final
> transfer, for purposes of showing the client the best possible cut.
> However, in a DI workflow, if the client understands perfectly that the
> dailies are done not as dailies but as full range scans, we are talking
> about two separate subjects.

No offense Rob, but for features I would argue that for most DoP's we work
with, what Steve is talking about is exactly what they would like to see.

We're implementing a similar chain at our Lab/Shop for dailies to minimize
the confusion of what's actually on the neg.

Best,
Chris

--
Chris Noellert