[Tig] DI workflow, capabilities and requirements

Christopher Noellert cnoellert
Sun Mar 27 22:01:01 BST 2005

On 3/27/05 12:27 PM, "Rob Lingelbach" <robling at ucla.edu> wrote:

> but often it is not the DoP who controls the dailies process but the
> editors, directors and agency people, who absolutely insist that their
> offline represent an indication of what they expect to see when edited.
> What I expect is that we will go through a period where the offline
> editor applies certain LUTs to the "unprocessed" grade in order to
> satisfy the client, but that in turn means the offline editor becomes
> more of a colorist, and for right now in SD commercial work, in my
> humble opinion, that is better left to an experienced colorist working
> with the DoP.

There's nothing to say that calibration won't run even into the avid's in
which features are edited.  We're still just talking about a video signal.
In the future why should anyone look at a single person's unsupervised
opinion of what the pictures should look like when clients can view what the
pictures will look like instead.

We offline the edit, we offline the effects, in a calibrated editing
environment what's there to say that we can't do offline colour work as
well.

I'm not saying that editors should be coulorists, but isn't the offline bay
a place where some experimentation could be done before it's online time?

Chris

--
Chris Noellert
Frithiof Film to Video. AB