[Tig] Film master from Nucoda

Henric Larsson henric
Mon Mar 28 19:06:52 BST 2005

I saw Rob's posting about Nucoda missing on the NAB list so I wanted to
share our experiences. We have been running two Lustre systems at our
office in Norway for more than 6 months and it is a good working
product with a sexy interface.

  At our Stockholm office we have just set up two new grading suites
based on Nucodas products but with support from hardware solutions from
Digital Vision.

  Film master is a great piece of software with RGB and HLS corrections,
colour cube, pan and scan at 2k realtime on a single PC. It also plays
back DPX, Cineon, TIFF etc straight from discs which is a new world for
us as users of Infernos with closed frame stores. the time line have
multi track which allow us to do compoisiting but I doubt the colorists
will spend time doing this.

  Even with all these features we still think that all software color
correctors with open frame stores today can't deliver the speed DoPs
are used to with hardware color correctors like Pogle, Da Vinci and
Digital Vision. Client love software systems feature list but some
clients just prefer to work with a conformed edit in guaranteed
realtime with locked they can?t tolerate the renderings times. A mix of
hardware and software products give us the real-time workflow clients
tend to appreciate.

  After finishing grading a feature we set Film master to DDR mode and
play out the DPX files as 4:4:4 HD through Digital Visions motion
compensated degrain/dust bust hardware which give us real time
feedback/processing (manual dust bust is expensive in Sweden where
salaries a high...). The signal is the recorded back to disc and
recorded on an Arri.

  We are also using only the DDR functionality on a 16mm job that we
scan to 10 bit DPX on a Spirit. The conformed timeline is controlled
from our hardware color corrector from Digital Vision which grade the
4:4:4 signal in real-time. Any plug-in effects can be applied in the
software color corrector set to DDR mode.

  We have access to both worlds, hardware and software, and think that
software will be the only way to go within a year when it get up to
speed but today, a mix of both is a perfect solution for us.

Henric Larsson
  The Chimney Pot