[Tig] DI workflow, capabilities and requirements

Lucas Wilson Lucas
Tue Mar 29 18:27:05 BST 2005

We've been working for a little while now on properly supporting the KDM
system. It's a great set of tools, and works very well in our realtime
environment.

Also -- in addressing some of the DAS/NAS discussion...

A few years ago, it was hard to get consistent RAID-protected realtime
2K with standard off-the-shelf hardware. Now, it's still something that
needs to be approached carefully, but it's no longer that hard, or that
expensive.

Take this workflow:

1) 2K scans
2) Visually define and offset Academy
3) Show 1.85 within Academy
4) Color correct
5) Pan 'n' Scan
6) Guaranteed realtime playback, with Academy offset, 1.85 crop, color
and pan/scan -- with no rendering required -- for longform.

There is tons of discussion to have about the details in each of these
steps. But the point is -- we have several customers doing this with
longform on NTFS RAID-5 storage at a fraction of the price of
traditional "heavy iron" systems. We also have customers working off of
ADIC/Bright, CXFS, etc., for SAN-based 2K. But the realtime 2K SAN world
is obviously much more expensive.

Cheers,

Lucas Wilson
Assimilate, Inc.