[Tig] 2K HSDL on Tape (was assistants)

Rich Torpey rich
Tue May 31 14:38:41 BST 2005

From: tig-bounces at tig.colorist.org [mailto:tig-bounces at tig.colorist.org] On
Behalf Of Jeff Kreines
Sent: Sunday, May 29, 2005 1:25 PM
To: tig at tig.colorist.org
Subject: Re: [Tig] 2K HSDL on Tape (was assistants)

Thanks to LAURENCE CLAYDON (laurence at bell-theatre.com) for supporting the
TIG in 2005
--

On May 27, 2005, at 12:11 PM, Rich Torpey wrote:

> Personally, I'd like to see the data workflow take off and get away
> from
> VTR's. When you see the data rate of an SDLT600 or LTO3 (2-4 x
> uncompressed
> SD) at only $3-4k it makes $50-150k video tape recorders much
> harder to
> take.

Yes, I have to agree with Rich here.  $6K for an LTO-3 autoloader vs.
$100K for an HDCam SR deck...  just add a couple of computers with
4:4:4 HD cards (Blackmagic or AJA) and an array or two...  and you
have something far more powerful than a single deck, as it can clone
tapes on its own.

And the tapes are pretty cheap, too.

Jeff "waiting for LTO-4" Kreines

participate in the tig wiki pages at http://tig.colorist.org/wiki