[Tig] assistants

Jack James jack
Wed May 25 16:44:43 BST 2005

I've been loving this discussion and thought i'd throw my own oar in.
I find myself empathising with both sides. I consider myself an idealist in general, but let's stick with reality in this case. I was originally trying to break into animation, but the concept is the same. I took a job as a runner at a post house, for less than the minimum wage. This despite having spent the last three years getting a degree and living on no money. And I hated it. If you've never been a runner before, you can't imagine how it feels to have everyone look down on you, and having to smile all the while; see people doing the job you want to do but knowing less than you and so on. it didn't lead to any use of the equipment afterwards, which was fine because I already had a showreel (just no experience), nor did it get me a foot in. What it gave me were a sense of drive, and an in-depth look at the industry. Suddenly I knew who to speak to, and how; and how to get noticed. Whenever people say the industry is about who you know, well that's what they mean. Sure you may have

 the skills, but if spielberg wouldn't have camped at universal studios for months, Jaws would have been a different film.
On the other side of things, it's a business. That means economic efficiency and maximising things like grading time are paramount. So if you have 100 over-qualified applicants for a runner's job, you are going to have a ridiculously disproportionate interviewing process, in that the person who gets the job will be really over-qualified. Similarly, maybe there's no point training people because it's a waste of resources. Likewise, you don't necessarily have time to test unproven candidates.
This is the industry, this is how it works, and if you can't hack it, maybe that's a sign to do something else.
But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

-----Original Message-----
    From: "Adrian Thomas"<adrian at autotv.co.uk>
    Sent: 25/05/05 11:25:22
    To: "Martin Euredjian"<ecinema at pacbell.net>
    Cc: "tig at colorist.org"<tig at colorist.org>
    Subject: Re: [Tig] assistants

    Thanks to LAURENCE CLAYDON (laurence at bell-theatre.com) for supporting the TIG in 2005
    --

    On 25 May 2005, at 00:37, Martin Euredjian wrote:

    > Hey, look, if you find someone who's willing to take you off the
    > street and
    > call you a colorist, by all means, do it.  Otherwise, there's just-
    > about
    > only one way to get to that chair.  If you want it badly enough quit
    > complaining and focus your energy where it should be.

    Frankly, Martin I think that you're wrong. These days it's quite
    possible for a teenager to shoot edit and grade his own films at
    home, it's quite possible that the best colourist in the world is
    some guy who works as a gas fitter and just plays with After Effects
    in his spare time. Did you see what happened when the Huygens probe
    to Titan sent back its images to Earth? The amateurs that had access
    to the raw data did a MUCH better job than did the scientists, and
    they did it much more quickly too - IIRC the real star panorama
    assembler was some 21-year old student.

    In short just as Quentin Tarantino came from a video store, the next

[Message truncated. Tap Edit->Mark for Download to get remaining portion.]