[Tig] assistants

Michael Poimboeuf mkp
Wed May 25 20:03:12 BST 2005

I've worked in the film, audio, video, computer design,
and music/screenwriting/production/storytelling
parts of the entertainment biz over the years, and I've
found that working the biz is a lot like another passion
of mine - messing around in boats. I kayak, canoe, and sail,
and from the boating world grew the saying: "You've got
to learn the ropes."

Working as an assistant, a technician, a runner, a script
reader, a junior engineer, a journeyman, or whatever entry
position you want to pick in whatever aspect of the biz
you work in, gives you a chance to learn the ropes. Once
you know the ropes, you can "jump ship" and go to another
job with another company in a more senior position, or you
can tell the "captain" (your manager) that you've been
offered a better position and negotiate your way up the
ladder to (as MartinE quoted GeorgeL who wrote Joda's line)
where you want your focus to be.

And if the industry isn't hiring for the job that you think
aligns with where you want your focus to be, then that
signals it's time to refocus, find another ladder, and
move sideways. I've found that when refocusing, it's best
to follow the money to where clients are paying.

Don't fool yourself, the "Industry" is what WE make it.
We (including you and I) are the ones who work in it,
and our work is what we do, what we make it.

Don't fool yourself into inflating your CV/Resume. When I
look at a resume, I look for training, and entry level
positions early on. I've spotted many faked CVs, and once
you come in for an interview know that you'll be talking
to experienced captains in the industry who can spot if
you know the ropes or not.

--
Michael Poimboeuf
mkp at poimboeuf.com