[Tig] JPEG2000 in camera?

Adrian Thomas adrian
Fri Oct 7 12:50:02 BST 2005

On 7 Oct 2005, at 00:33, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> Apparently Grass Valley showed a video camera at IBC which outputs
> JPEG2000 compressed files rather than uncompressed DPX, MPEG-2, or
> MPEG-4 SP.  Compression is done in real time using the Analog
> Devices ADV202 chip.  The same chip supports real-time JPEG2000
> decompression.
>
> Did anyone at the show see this camera and have comments they can
> share?  How does the camera compare with the Grass Valley Viper?
>
> There is an EE Times article about the camera at "http://
> www.eet.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=170701866".
> There is another article at "http://www.planetanalog.com/news/
> showArticle.jhtml?articleID=170702302".
> It seems that the Grass Valley product sheet is at "http://
> www.thomsongrassvalley.com/products/infinity/camcorder/
> stick_desc.html".
>
> Bob

The Viper - as I understand it - captures RAW data directly from the
CCD's AD converters, thus there is no gamma correction, colour matrix
or de-mosaicing algorithm yet applied. Such an approach SHOULD yield
an hugely better and more flexible file for grading downstream.

A much cheaper / lower-band device that attempts something similar is
this: http://www.reel-stream.com/

The new Grass Valley camcorder seems to be a direct competitor for
Panasonic's P2 products rather than the more delicate, high-band
machines like the Viper.

--
Adrian Thomas
AUTOMATIC TELEVISION