[Tig] gray/grey

Dominic Case cased
Wed Oct 26 08:36:26 BST 2005

Here's a thought for an idle moment . . . similar to Rob's legendary
interest in the colour of the middle traffic light (yellow? orange? amber?).

Someone on another list questioned the spelling of "grey" or "gray" - as in
grayscale, 18% grey etc.

(It's also a name - and I had wondered why the recent TV show "Grey's
Anatomy" had chosen to misspell the name of the classic medical text "Gray's
Anatomy". -Probably a copyright issue.)

Anyway, I did a search and found the following, apparently from the Oxford
English Dictionary.

>>Many correspondents said that they used the two forms with a difference of
meaning or application: the distinction most generally recognized being that
grey denotes a more delicate or a lighter tint than gray. Others considered
the difference to be that gray is a _warmer_ colour, or that it has a
mixture of red or brown (cf. also the quot. under 1 c below). In the
twentieth century, grey has become the established spelling in the U.K.,
whilst gray is standard in the United States. <<

Then I found this . . .

> "Grey is composed only of black and white; the term gray is applied to
> any broken colour of cool hue and therefore belongs to the class of
> chromatic colours" 1885

Those on this list who use greyscales, or believe that an 18% grey (is that
lighter than 18% gray) has some significance, must surely be the authorities
on this. What do you think?

Dominic Case
Atlab Australia

This email message [including any file attachments transmitted with it ] is for the sole use of the individual  or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential or priveledged information.
Any unauthorised review,use,alteration,disclosure or distribution is prohibited.
If you have received this email in error please notify the sender by return email and destroy all copies of the original message.
 Any confidentiality or legal professional privilege is not waived or lost by any mistaken delivery of the email.

Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of the company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.