[Tig] gray/grey

Rob Lingelbach rob
Wed Oct 26 14:24:59 BST 2005

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 17:36:26 +1000, Dominic Case wrote
> Thanks to Sean Mckee for supporting the TIG.
> --
> Here's a thought for an idle moment . . . similar to Rob's
> legendary interest in the colour of the middle traffic
> light (yellow? orange? amber?).

ah, you've provoked me again.  Here are the original propositions:
1) amber is not the same color as yellow, at least as I was taught
in art class.  it has more red in it.  2) given this fact, are
traffic lights in the UK, the warning ones called "amber", actually
a different color than the ones we call "yellow" (never "amber") in
the US?   I do solemnly assert I never got a straight answer on
this.

what you quote in the following is fascinating, and calls for a
research paper underwritten by Peter Swinson.  Amber Lager, being a
nice german girl I know, thinks you're on the right track.

Seriously, some of us also take offense
at "whilst" "colourist" "flash" and some UKisms but your research
into gray/grey deserves more fleshing out.

(continued below)

> >>Many correspondents said that they used the two forms with a
difference of
> meaning or application: the distinction most generally
> recognized being that grey denotes a more delicate or a
> lighter tint than gray. Others considered the difference
> to be that gray is a _warmer_ colour, or that it has a
> mixture of red or brown (cf. also the quot. under 1 c
> below). In the twentieth century, grey has become the
> established spelling in the U.K., whilst gray is standard
> in the United States. <<
>
> Then I found this . . .
>
> > "Grey is composed only of black and white; the term gray is
applied to
> > any broken colour of cool hue and therefore belongs to the
class of
> > chromatic colours" 1885
>
> Those on this list who use greyscales, or believe that an
> 18% grey (is that lighter than 18% gray) has some
> significance, must surely be the authorities on this. What
> do you think?

anything having a semantic relevance to our craft excites me no end
Dominic.  Outstanding research, worthy of a thesis subject.

--Rob
Rob Lingelbach   http://www.colorist.org   rob at calarts.edu