[Tig] Digital Intermediate Book

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen
Fri Oct 28 22:45:25 BST 2005

After a seemingly endless wait, I am now the proud owner of the book
"Digital Intermediates for Film and Video" by Jack James.  I was not
sure to expect from this book, but I must say that it surpasses my
expectations.  The main gripes I have about the book is that most of
the photos in the book are in black and white rather than color, and
of course the book deserves to be offered in hard-cover.

I have been aware of the DPX file format for several years. In March
of this year I was coming up for air after completely re-writing
GraphicsMagick's TIFF support.  Flush with success, I looked for
something similar that I could do which would address new requirements
while leveraging what already exists in GraphicsMagick.  Proper
support for the obscure SMPTE DPX file format seemed like just the
ticket.  I thought that maybe it would take about a month to
implement.  At the end of April I thought that the DPX support was
almost complete.  Apparently I was wrong since several re-writes
later, I am still investigating the dark corners of DPX.
Understanding DPX requires understanding Digital Intermediate for both
film and video.

As an industry outsider I did not know what I was getting myself into.
I have learned quite a lot over these past months.  Armed with this
wonderful new book, I will learn much more about the DI process and
better understand where GraphicsMagick can address requirements and
better fit into the world of Digital Intermediates.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn