[Tig] SED monitors

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen
Sat Oct 29 16:18:27 BST 2005

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005, Stephen Hullfish wrote:

> Following in the discussion of "multiple monitors" I was wondering if anyone
> has seen these types of monitors. What are the implications of this for
> monitoring in the grading suite AND when consumers have a monitor that can
> display - reportedly - 100,000:1 contrast ratios?

SED is a very interesting technology which should start making its
mark in a couple of years.  It uses CRT phosphors to produce CRT-like
behavior but without the light-scatter problems of a CRT tube.

As usual the 100,000:1 contrast ratio is way overstated.  It is based
on SED being able to obtain true black because the electron emitters
can be turned completely off.  It remains to be seen how well
real-world SED displays will handle the region near black.

If SED was indeed able to produce a userful contrast range of
100,000:1, then surely far more than the current 8-bits would be
necessary to control it.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn