[Tig] FinalTouch HD

Sean McKee sean
Fri Sep 23 07:41:01 BST 2005

Hi Bob,

To respond to your questions about myself and my qualifications to comment
about a product, our company and what type of work we do:

Yes, I am an owner/operator.

Yes, we have invested in da Vinci systems and Discreet systems, but I have
no agenda to knock any system just because we own other systems that cost
more. Sounds like you are having to defend it because it doesn't cost as
much. As you said, "the colorist makes the magic".

Each of our colorists has at least 15 years experience driving different
telecines and color correctors.

The company's main business is film restoration, with the restored titles
ending up being rebroadcast in HD, or distributed in retail markets on DVD.
We also offer services complimentary to the restored product, such as the
encoding & authoring, menu & package design, etc, but we do not compete in
the same space against traditional post houses, and our sales efforts do not
solicit commercial work. We in fact have many post houses as clients. Our
location in Schaumburg, IL (20 miles west of Chicago) has no bearing on our
abilities, and our business does not require us to be downtown, or even in
LA, as much of our work is unsupervised, and we have clients from around the
world. I understand you run your FTHD system out of your house in the south
suburbs, should I question your experience based on your location? So
regarding coloring, we do color 'correction' in the literal sense, but
everybody has had previous creative commercial and feature film coloring
experience.

No, we did not try to drive the Final Touch system like a da Vinci. We
looked at it for what it is. There was no operator error because, as I said,
it was easy to use and was mastered quickly. So I appreciate the offer for a
demo, but we had our own and could probably show a few tricks ourselves...
When I mentioned 'mems' I was using a term familiar to most on here and my
comment was regarding the lack of being able to switch grades or store a
color setting from the control panel.

To quote you again, "Helloooooo....dude" I did read the web site and knew
the fact that the HD version was meant to work with FCP. I merely stated
that the system assumes you are working with FCP, not as a negative, but
merely as fact. My point and complaint in that paragraph if you read it
properly was that the system does not allow you to render a single, large
quicktime of the whole movie if you wanted to, which I would expect to be a
given.

Our tests of the system were methodical and detailed. We tested every system
feature with clips of different lengths, from one minute to 2 hours, in SD
NTSC and PAL, every variation of HD at different timings, and 2K data.

I hope that now in your eyes you think I am qualified to comment and have an
opinion on a product or an experience. Although I have never spoke to Lucas
Wilson from Assimilate regarding his offer on the TIG to check out Scratch,
he must think I'm qualified enough to demo it with the possibility of me
posting my thoughts on this forum, without knowing my credentials. Isn't
that what the TIG is for, to exchange opinions, ideas, experiences and
knowledge? I did end up saying it's a cool product in the end, but like I
said, I was just frustrated with the interactivity with the JL Cooper
panels. Those guys even made me put 1/2 down on a credit card to demo their
$5500 panels and now want to charge me a restocking fee! Yet we've demoed
much more expensive equipment for no charge.

Here's another opinion and I'll say it up front, this is not a metaphor to
compare with this topic of discussion, rather just me being a person with an
opinion that people don't have to listen to... I don't like beer. I prefer
Jack Daniels and wine (not at the same time). When I was a kid, my friends
tried to get me to drink beer and said "it's an acquired taste, you have to
drink more". I thought, "why do I want to learn to like the taste of
something that I don't like to start with?"  Let's hope we don't get the
beer manufacturers to get their users to question my experience to make such
a comment and have an opinion!

To quote a popular DJ, "you've been listening to the free speech radio
network".

Sean McKee
Screen Time Images
847-534-9000