[Tig] Looking for: Pix of Visible light with NTSC, YUV, & RGB Triangles

Rich Torpey rich
Fri Sep 30 04:07:02 BST 2005

Hi Jan,
If you're looking for a simple layman's explanation - the clearest one
I've found to explain it in non technical terms is to have people first
think about RGB. How do we make colors in RGB space? We have different
levels - the RGB signals must be different otherwise we have white,
black or shades of grey. Can you have full amplitude RGB signals or zero
level RGB signals and have color - no it's white or black. When you're
define colors in terms of  luminance and color difference signals
(whether YUV, YPrPb, YCrCb or any variation) you disconnect the color
components from luminance (to some degree ;-). It's now possible to have
full white or black and still have a color. Take a look at SMPTE color
bars in analog and notice the U and V components then put that signal
through some RGB processing and watch the levels get clipped. Next take
a look at a monitor being fed the same signals - IF THE MONITOR AND
SIGNAL PATH IS PROPERLY CALIBRATED you should see no difference. The
reason is the signal being clipped is going negative - since the monitor
is an RGB device it can only display non-negative signals. As the
electron beams illuminate the RGB phosphors they emit light - if they
somehow worked with negative  then instead of emitting light  they would
absorb light - doesn't happen :-)
Again - this is intended to be a non-technical explanation for laymen.
For good discussions of the details I suggest Poynton's books.

--
Richard Torpey
VP Engineering