[Tig] Is FinalTouch any good

Jack James jack
Mon Apr 3 22:17:11 BST 2006

That's funny, I had a conversation with someone about this earlier today.
I've no personal experience, but from what I gather (this was from two other
colorists) it's very slow and not particularly intuitive. The proxies are
mandatory if you want to mess around with vignettes etc, and "they look like
mpeg-1" is what I was told. Your client will definitely get bored.
My personal view on silicon color products is that they seem to be aimed
squarely at students/universities/whatever rather than production-level
work.

-----Original Message-----
From: tig-bounces at tig.colorist.org [mailto:tig-bounces at tig.colorist.org] On
Behalf Of Jean-Do
Sent: 03 April 2006 21:51
To: 'TIG'
Subject: [Tig] Is FinalTouch any good

Hello,

We are a post-production company mainly working for television.

A director would like to edit and grade his movie (shoot in HDCAM) in our
facility.

For that, we will need to add Silicon Color's FinalTouch HD to our Mac with
Final Cut HD and Xserve.

Is it any good? Apart from the fact we can't do 2K or 4K (yet), how far is
it from a very expensive color grading equipment like Da Vinci? (Apart the
fact that it is not real time)

Is there any specific limitation?

Does it require a lot of rendering time? Will the client be bored waiting
for his footage to render?

I try to find a comparative study on the net but couldn't find it.

Thanks for answering my newbie questions,

Jean-Do.

Jean-Dominique Vandenberghe

4, rue de l'Abattoir, 1000 Brussels, Belgium
phone : +32 2 213 60 20
direct : +32 2 213 60 29
fax : +32 2 213 60 21
skype ID : thisisjeando