[Tig] DPX floating point support initiative?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen
Mon Apr 3 18:48:21 BST 2006

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006, Cyril Pertsev wrote:

> I'm aware, but I haven't seen those files myself, especially compared to
> 10-bit ones. We recently run a test across Arriscan, Spirit4K and Northlight
> by sending all 3 companies a test reel (we were on the market for a new
> scanner). They were free to choose a scanning method and file format and they
> all choose 10bit log. Maybe it doesn't mean anything :-)
> And AFAIK this format is still integer log encoded. Not float.

Right.  10 bit log comes very close to capturing what these scanners
are able to do.  The scanner sensor and A/D electronics are likely
good for 12-14 bits of linear precision, but other factors rapidly
become dominant.  Besides, film itself varies quite a bit so there is
little value to capturing more than 10 bit log.  It is more useful to
capture more spacial resolution.

> BTW, are there any applications able to read (and optionally write) 16-bit
> DPX? Except for gm of course :-)

Certainly Grass Valley's Bones and FilmLight's Baselight.  I am
interested to hear of others.

BTFW, 16-bit DPX as implemented by Grass Valley and FilmLight is
implemented the way a reasonable person would envision things, and
*not* the way the specification says to do it.

Bob