[Tig] Nitmeter of choice for Lumina's ??? why 30?

Ronald Williams rwilliams
Mon Apr 17 21:12:23 BST 2006

Well,
  here it goes ( I don't think SMPTE will mind if I copy the text for this purpose)
5.10.1 Reference white
Using a split-field optical comparator, adjust the displayed reference white to the
illuminant D65 and a luminance value of 120 cd/m 2 (35 fL) (see A.2). If the optical
comparator has a variable luminance control, set the reference white on the monitor screen
to the specified luminance value with a photometer and then adjust the comparator.
Brightness, color temperature, and gray-scale tracking controls are interactive. Achieving
all the correct results simultaneously requires adjustments, which reduce but do not
completely correct the perceived error(s). The adjustment sequence must be performed
several times, each time with smaller incremental adjustments.

That is the section in its entirety. It is also in three other documents.
Not to get anyone bent out of sorts .. as long as the interchange is working (as it has)
its not that big of a deal.
But in HD it is a Big deal. Because the monitor currently can't do it,  the material is
being mastered incorrectly. According to Standards

To answer the questions on this thread- not on any order.

Thanks to Bill Topazio for that section. That was added because of what was said in my
earlier comment about Why.
The manufactures could not make all the monitors meet the numbers at the time. The 30 was
added ,as stated in Bill response,  to be a stop gap. That is the only place it is
mentioned. Everywhere else it is 35.
It is NOT a number unattainable as was commented. It is very easy to do now and was just 2
years after the document went out. All except for the HD monitors.

------Maybe I am too naive to really play devil's advocate.
But it seems that the SD/HD CRT specification has never been achievable by practical
products. Today's technology cannot get anywhere near delivery of the DCI
specification.When does a set of technical requirements cease to be a statement of noble
intent and when does it become a fruitless wish list?

Not too sure they are on the same page as I. All professional monitors since that time
comply with the SMPTE Spec. Revised in 1995. As far as DI  -- you don't use a monitor to
do DI - use a projector.

  ----Documents like the one above indicate a difference between the two white points,
where D6500 is slightly 'greener' than 6500K (to be accurate, you can find the right x and
y co-ordinates).  It seems that there is a lot of mix-up between the two, in textbooks and
in broadcast monitors.  I have a
Sony broadcast monitor (1995 era) which lets you select between 6500 K and 9300 K, whereas
newer Sony monitors will show D6500 in the menu.

Many do get the to confused! D is Daylight standard the other is lument . X .3129  Y.3290
are the proper point for SD/HD. The 9300 is for Japan only. It is there national standard
  --  which is about 40 minutes of one of my lectures. Because most content is coming from
the west they now ship with 6500.

As far as the LCD instruments -- I had stated that the Spectro based units can be used if
aligned properly--its not easy. As far as the others,  I stand by my statement that the DK
unit is the most correct unit on the market today. We test for All manufactures and have
documentation to support it. The Minolta unit 210 is not the best for this purpose. As a
Minolta dealer and developer I can explain why it is used -- offline

Thanks for reading

Ron Williams

Bill Topazio wrote:
> --
> Thanks to oktobor for supporting the TIG
> --
> Perhaps part of the problem may be this slightly ambiguous statement in RP-177:
>
> "Some monitors, often depending on CRT type, are not
> capable of producing a linear light output level as high as
> 120 cd/m2 (35 fL). They should produce a minimum peak
> operating level of 100 cd/m2 (about 30 fL) in order to be
> considered useful in critically evaluating video signals."

Thanks,
Ronald Williams

The LANDMARK Group

rwilliams at landmarkcolor.com   805 480 1000  voice