[Tig] Polonium

Jim Houston jim at power.net
Fri Dec 1 02:17:34 GMT 2006

from     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Alexander_Litvinenko#Investigation_into_death

Smaller-than-lethal amounts — roughly one thousandth of a lethal dose
— are apparently available in the US by mail order from a company
called United Nuclear.[60] Potentially lethal amounts — 500
microcuries — are present in anti-static brushes sold to
photographers [2], but the polonium is sealed in a ceramic matrix.
General Electric markets a static eliminator with 500 microcuries of
Polonium 210 encased in a stainless steel housings. [3]

The effect on Litvinenko appears consistent with a dose of
approximately 50 millicuries of 210Po

--
so you would have needed about 100 brushes

Jim H.

On Nov 30, 2006, at 2:06 PM, Rob Lingelbach wrote:

> I was curious if the Russian spy who was recently killed by
> ingestion of polonium, and those
> who poisoned him with isotope 210, had scraped their polonium from
> a photographic
> static-control brush, or perhaps they were all colorists and now
> there's a critical shortage
> of colorists in Moscow.

I don't think of Moscow as having a lot of color, so probably not a
problem :-)