[Tig] The golden eye/brain? / perfect pitch for color

Jeff Booth jeff.booth
Wed Jan 11 08:29:56 GMT 2006

A BBC VT Editor used to be able to replicate exactly the EastEnders
'blue' as seen on the opening titles, so I assume colour memory is
possible.

(I assume this soap is familiar to everyone?)

Yeh?

From: tig-bounces at tig.colorist.org [mailto:tig-bounces at tig.colorist.org]
On Behalf Of Dominic Case
Sent: 11 January 2006 00:02
To: TIG
Subject: RE: [Tig] The golden eye/brain? / perfect pitch for color

> how to bring this back to the fold of color.... I'm stumped...

Studies show that while people can disagree on exactly what colour is
"orange" or "brown" for example, they agree very closely on red, green
and blue. Presumably this is because we all have r, g, and b-sensitive
cones in the eye that must peak at certain frequencies, which are the
"primaries".
These peak frequencies are probably chemically defined (in terms of
frequencies absorbed by certain organic chemicals - rhodopsin etc), so
wouldn't vary from person to person.

Perhaps it's this chemical reference that is the basis for perfect
colour reference.

Since I have no idea at all how the ear analyses the sound spectrum, I
can only speculate (free of any restriction imposed by facts, of course)
on whether there is a similar reason for prefect pitch. Is there some
type of molecule in the ear that resonates at certain frequencies?

_________________________________
Dominic Case
Atlab Australia
________________________________

This email message [including any file attachments transmitted with it ]
is for the sole use of the individual  or entity to whom it is addressed
and may contain confidential or priveledged information.
Any unauthorised review,use,alteration,disclosure or distribution is
prohibited.
If you have received this email in error please notify the sender by
return email and destroy all copies of the original message.
 Any confidentiality or legal professional privilege is not waived or
lost by any mistaken delivery of the email.

relate to the official business of the company shall be understood as
neither given nor endorsed by it.

Soho Images Film Laboratory & Digital Post,
8 - 14 Meard Street, London W1F 0EQ
tel: +44 (0)20 7437 0831
fax: +44 (0)20 7734 9471
web: http://www.sohoimages.com
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, copy, distribute or disclose the e-mail or any part of its contents or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please e-mail the sender by replying to this message. All reasonable precautions have been taken to ensure no viruses are present in this e-mail. Soho Images Film Laboratory & Digital Post cannot accept responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of this e-mail or attachments and recommend that you subject these to your virus checking procedures prior to use.