[Tig] FREE Digital Cinema Screening of South Pacific from the 65 mm Negative

Ted Langdell ted
Mon Jan 30 23:34:35 GMT 2006

Ted Langdell
Marysville, CA
Main:  	(530) 741-1212

If you see the film tonight... you'll hear the songs Mitzi Gaynor's
character sings performed by... Mitzi Gaynor.

Mary Martin did the role on Broadway and was apparently "too old" to be
young Nellie Forbush on film, prompting a search for another lead actor
(or actress, as you prefer.)

Did anybody notice that the press release that was linked to the
original e-mail makes a goof in putting the film version of South
Pacific as debuting "before the advent of Cinemascope."
----
PR: FotoKem used its Imagica ?Bigfoot? scanner  to digitally recapture
the faded glory of ?South Pacific,? one of only a handful of 65mm
widescreen pictures produced before the advent of Cinemascope.
----

CinemaScope debuted in 1953... and South Pacific didn't appear until
1958.

http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/widescreen/wingto11.htm describes among
other things... how the Todd-AOfilm speed was dropped from 30fps to
24fps to enable anamorphic prints in CinemaScope.

The process of squeezing the horizontal aspect of an image during
photography and unsqueezing it during projection was the 1920's
invention of a French professor, Henri Chr?tien.

In 1953, Fox acquired rights to the process and renamed it CinemaScope,
which was originally a name trademarked for a video product. Fox bought
the rights to the name. (Wonder what the original product was and what
happened to it.)

It released "The Robe" in the new process in 1953.
http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/widescreen/wingcs1.htm

If anyone attends, I hope they'll tell us how it looked and what the
panel said.

Ted.