[Tig] "subtractive" saturation - does it look better?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen
Fri Mar 3 19:58:04 GMT 2006

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006, Rob Lingelbach wrote:

> That is a very good description of the tendency in US urban society to
> overemphasize the low end and the high end at the expense of the midrange
> in mobile and home audio systems.  I hadn't thought of it in terms of intelligibility
> before, but there might be implications that "intelligence" in audio is of low
> importance to the majority of consumers, ...  perhaps the same idea could be
> applied to video, and could even be reflected in the intelligence of the consumer (a
> very incorrect, politically speaking, statement, and not meant to offend) :-).

As always, you are politically correct and stick to the straight and
narrow.  In a home theater system, the center-channel is the most
important speaker in the system since it carries most of the dialog
and needs to have the most natural mid-range tone.  Yet it is quite
often the worst speaker in the system.  This seems to be true in most
commerical cinemas as well.  Most commerical cinemas have a
center-channel which is exceedingly bright and produces an unnatural
"tinny" sound.

>>From a definition standpoint, it stands to reason that NTSC/SDTV
require more contrast enhancement to achieve a given level of
"sharpness" than 2K/1080HD do.  In fact, one often notices that NTSC
images are a bit like a caricature of the original but that this is ok
since there is so little to work with and the screen is usually small.
Applying the same tricks to HD which worked perfectly for SD will lead
to excessive contrast being applied since less contrast is necessary
in order to achieve similar levels of perceived "sharpness".  So 2K/HD
can be used to provide a more natural degree of contrast while still
appearing to be quite sharp.

When someone is exposed to HD for the first time, one of the first
things they tend to notice are the pores on people's faces.  Pores on
people's faces are often far more evident in HD than they are from a
couple of feet away in real life.  Sometimese they look like craters
on the moon.  Contrast enhancement and sharpening emphasizes the
pores.  Think of how ugly the world would look if we saw pores,
black-heads, pimples, hanging snot, wiskers, and other defects on our
peers the way they are often portrayed in today's HD?

Bob