[Tig] re: HD master monitor for grading

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen
Thu Mar 16 16:26:07 GMT 2006

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006, Digital Praxis wrote:

> Of all the TFT/LCD monitors I've tested recently the Cine-tal looks
> to be one of the best. It has good shadow detail and colourimetery,
> with good highlight control.

I saw a Cine-tal LCD in the HPA Tech Retreat demo room.  The image was
very nice, but it should be mentioned that where Cine-tal really
shines is with its built in LUT support and associated firmware.
Besides applying a LUT suitable for the attached LCD, the display can
apply a LUT for its HD-SDI output so it could be used to correct color
for another viewing device (e.g. a CRT or projector).  Assuming that
the LUT quality is up to snuff, this could save money and space by
avoiding use of a separate color correction box.  As I recall, the
built in software is capable of doing many useful things such as
displaying a histogram or comparing between two LUTs anywhere on the
image.  These features are perhaps more useful in the field or for
monitoring than for grading.

The Cine-tal approach is to find and use the best production LCD panel
commercially available and adapt to it without modifying the panel
itself.  This differs from the eCinema Systems approach where
production panels are dissassembled in a clean-room and electronics
are added in order to improve the basic performance of the panel
itself (within the bounds of what is possible).

Regardless of current efforts, LCD panels continue to be constrained
to an 8-bit interface internally so they will be only an
approximation.  There is also the issue that an LCD pixel is on for
the entire duration of the frame whereas film and CRT only flash the
color for a brief instant.  This has an effect on observed motion
which extends beyond the "well known" LCD pixel response time.

Bob