[Tig] HD monitor vs projector grading

Adrian Thomas adrian
Fri Mar 17 09:54:48 GMT 2006

On 17 Mar 2006, at 05:48, Sukhjinder Singh Khaira wrote:

> --
> Thanks to oktobor for supporting the TIG
> --
> Hi Steve,
>
>                    As BOB pointed out, if all current TFT and or
> LCD monitors are working in a 8 bit space, than how do we see them
> as an option while grading on a GUI monitor?

UP TO 8 bits, many are 6 bit precision.

>    in that case a good old CRT wide screen 22" VGA monitor from
> sony should be better? or not? Do these work in a 10bit space?

10 bit isn't really a 'space', just a measure of precision.

>                          Does the Sony BVM-D24E1WE crt HD
> Multiformat monitor work in a 10bit color space..? cause then we
> need one of these on the side for viewing purpose, if theres no
> Digital projector provided..

All analogue monitors will be precise to whatever standard they can
achieve, if you drive them with a signal converted with at least 10
bit precision you will get '10 bit' level contouring at least.

--
Adrian Thomas
Automatic Television