[Tig] 16mm scanning problems

Graham Collett grahamcollett
Thu Mar 16 22:08:48 GMT 2006

As a rep of SLS  ..the  ptr manufacturer,  I would say that the ptr's
themselves are unlikely to cause the instability .. However there are
cases where people have put the "precision"  hubs. .. (designed for labs
and non critical use) on telecine's ... Instead of the correct "ultra
precision" hubs designed for telecine's/scanners etc. this is the only
stabilitly issue directly caused by ptr's that I have seen in many years
.... Changing those hubs cleared up the problems ... At 4k stability !!
San Lab have publicly offered (a couple of years ago) to change these
out at cost  ... Even if the problem was not directly of their cause.

regards
European agent of SLS

Graham Collett
Sprockets(telecine) Ltd
www.sprockets-telecine.co.uk

-----Original Message-----
From: tig-bounces at tig.colorist.org [mailto:tig-bounces at tig.colorist.org]
On Behalf Of Jim Mann
Sent: 16 March 2006 17:41
To: Dave Ludlam; tig at tig.colorist.org
Subject: RE: [Tig] 16mm scanning problems

Hi Dave,

I was looking at some 16mm reversal being scanned (for data) just last
night on a Spirit 2K. I thought that the scan was rock solid except for
the slightest north-south movement. We normally scan at 20 frames per
second and now at 24fps with the newer storage. I will ask the basic
questions....the capstan clean...all the bearings good? Hell even at 18
month it is a fairly new machine....PTRs too sticky and plucking...Lab
using too much glue on the splices and the supply side reel is plucking?
Lab over drying the film? I think all these things are a stretch but
need to be checked.

Regards,
Jim

Jim Mann