[Tig] Why isn't HDR(-like) rendering more widespread?

Dan C. Tatut dtatut
Thu Mar 30 18:04:27 BST 2006

Why not.

PFM, Radiance Pic, or even Mental Ray are simple HDRI image formats.

The problem (and this is one great advantage of DPX) is that all these formats would require a bit more specification in order to store them efficiently on disk (e.g. for real-time access) and of course a well defined set of meta datas....

DPX is popular in the (Digital) Film community because it carries film-related information (timecode, edge code) and colorimetric information. If we can have all this in a new format, why not.

Dan Tatut
CEO
CHROME Imaging
105 Rue de Lyon