[Tig] RE: Why isn't HDR(-like)

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen
Thu Mar 30 18:28:14 BST 2006

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006, Digital Praxis wrote:

> It's good once in a while to remind ourselves that this is a
> creative industry aimed at producing a useable final image that joe
> public will pay to see in one form or another - not a scientific
> community striving to take everything to the Nth level.

As an industry outsider looking in, I see that the film industry is
all about chaos.  As the film progresses down the path to completion,
there is reduction of chaos at every step of the way. Once the work
gets to the colorist, the level of chaos is quite low, and when the
work is sent to print, there should be no noticeable chaos at all.

So we have

Before Shooting
   Scripts, rough sketches, set design, location scouting, bribes,
   contracts.

Shooting:
   Angles, light, positions, green-screens, makeup, shouting, cursing.

Dailies:
   A million or more frames of all kinds of stuff, including when the
   camera man accidentally had the camera on when it was pointing at
   the ground.

Editing:
   Throw away the junk, make rhyme out of chaos, film is
   basically there.

Colorist:
   Make the edited work look as good as it can be.

Somewhere in this mess fits the rendering which plays a key role in
many modern films.  This work is usually done at specialized places
using specialized proprietary methods and specialized hardware and
proprietary software.  The files are quite large and may have 20 or 30
layers, each of which uses samples of 32 bit or 64-bit floating point.
I see that the output of this effort fits somewhere between "dailies"
and "editing".  By the time the work makes it to the editor, hopefully
it is already a pretty good RGB image without huge file sizes and the
need to deal with 30 layers.  So the work should be exported from the
complex linear form used by the rendering folks into a simpler RGB
form which is suitable for use by the editors, colorists, and film
printers.  If the rendering folks have done their job properly, it
should not be necessary for this RGB to be in an "HDR" format since
HDR represents additional opportunity for "chaos".

Bob