[Tig] RE: Why isn't HDR(-like)

Dick Hobbs dick
Fri Mar 31 08:11:03 BST 2006

I have to put my weight behind Steve Shaw here.

We can always argue for higher quality, greater precision, more
sophisticated processing. But people making movies need to get
workflows together today, and are accepting what is available.

We all know that the Viper (for example) produces an image that is
just a fraction of what film can do, but serious directors are
accepting it as good enough. They are compressing the output, because
recording on a Sony SRW is convenient, fast and is...good enough.

Let's go back to our CD analogy. Anyone with a glancing knowledge of
acoustics knows that the limit of the finest human hearing is 20kHz,
getting worse as the ears get older. So the designers of CDs took
20kHz, added the Nyquist factor of two and a bit, and came up with
the (admittedly slightly odd) number of 44.1kHz.

Yes, absolute purists can claim that this has some audible impact on
transients, but the vast majority of the audience will never know,
which is why CDs are universally accepted.

As I said a few days ago, there will be some purists who notice the
loss in moving to digital cinema, but for 99.999% of the audience
(who have never seen the first projection of a print struck from the
OCN) the gains far, far outweigh the disadvantages.

There are more than enough problems in launching digital cinema, like
building a 4k projector. Oh, and JPEG2000 looks great on paper but
building codecs is proving to be extremely troublesome.

Steve and his clients are making movies that look good enough to keep
audiences happy, and doing so profitably. That actually counts for
quite a lot.

Dick

Dick Hobbs
Consultant and writer on television and film technology
+44 1435 830988
Skype DickHobbs
dick at hobbsonline.tv