[Tig] Digital cinema

Laurence Claydon laurence
Fri Mar 31 09:38:44 BST 2006

Hi,

Oddly enough I discussed this problem twice recently with Howard Lukk at
Disney Studios (formerly of DCI) and he very much acknowledges that
there is an issue with 'upscaling' the projection aperture of a 2k scan
to 2048, so I think it is unfair to say that DCI have ignored the
problem. This issue is again compounded when rescaling anamorphic camera
negative.

I did float the idea of an Arriscan 3k native scan for material destined
for 35mm and DCI spec release, although I do not know what other
implications this may throw up in the postproduction chain.

Anyone?

Kind Regards,
Laurence Claydon

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Houston [mailto:jim.houston at mindspring.com]
Sent: 31 March 2006 04:40
To: TIG Group; Micheletti, Bob ((NBC Universal))
Subject: Re: [Tig] Digital cinema

On Mar 30, 2006, at 12:13 PM, Micheletti, Bob ((NBC Universal)) wrote:
> My first problem with the DCI spec is that the idea of 2048 (4096)
> pixels across matching the S35 scan resolution.  This overlooked the
> fact that
> 2048 is the camera aperture scan width not the projected image width.
> This means an S35 scan needs to be blown up 4.5% digitally to match

And that's the easy case.  No one is liking 4.5% blow-ups because of
the softening of the image.   If you scan at 4K and downsize, you get
really great images, but no one wants to pay the price for 4K in time or
money.

I wouldn't so much say that DCI overlooked the facts of life at 2K, as
ignored them.  "Everybody is going digital anyway, so let's
ignore this legacy film-stuff".   *sigh*

Jim Houston
Starwatcher Digital