[Tig] 35fL versus 20/22fL - so what's really the difference?

glenn chan glennchan
Mon May 1 03:23:55 BST 2006

Practically speaking, what difference does it make?  How does the image look
different?  In a darkened environment, one's eyes will just adapt to the
lower brightness level and it'll appear pretty normal.  When looking at two
BVMs side by side (the smaller ones can hit at least 30fL), the difference
is subtle.  The difference may be extremely subtle if you consider
adaptation.

1- Does the appearance of motion judder differ?

2- Does the spacing between JNDs (just noticeable differences) change?

3a- Presumably the answer is yes and yes, but does it make a *significant*
difference?  Does it mislead the colorist into making subtle 'errors'?
3b- From a business perspective, does it matter?  Do clients notice or
complain?

Disclaimer 1:  At NAB I freelanced for Sony demoing HDXchange, a product
unrelated to monitor technology or telecine.
Disclaimer 2:  I visited the Ecinemasys booth and they didn't have any swag
to give away.

Glenn Chan