[Tig] 35fL versus 20/22fL - so what's really the difference?

Martin Euredjian ecinema
Mon May 1 07:50:52 BST 2006

> At these different brightnesses, the images look
> somewhat different
> in a non-adapting way that does cause colorists to
> make errors.

Jim,

I have to disagree here.  If both monitor and
environment are setup in context, the perceptual
differences should not be significant.  Here "in
context" means that one is setup relative to the
other.  For example, you can't run a monitor at 22fL
in an environment designed for 35fL viewing.

There's a second form of adaptation that is seldom
mentioned.  I call this one "step change" adaptation.
It's the "new car syndrome".  When you get a brand new
car you do things differently because it "feels new".
Months later none of those differences register as
special.  If you throw someone into a new environment
you have to expect something to be "feel different"
due to the step change.  Once this second form of
adaptation is done with the environment works well.

I am not suggesting that I have the solutions here,
but I've seen it time and time again with my own
testing at many facilities in many parts of the world.
 This 35fL number has no merit whatsoever other than
being printed on a standard.  If it were so critical
nearly nothing in television for the last ten years
would have a chance in hell of looking good.

-Martin Euredjian
 eCinema Systems, Inc.