[Tig] 35fL versus 20/22fL - so what's really the difference?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen
Mon May 1 04:31:03 BST 2006

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006, glenn chan wrote:

> Practically speaking, what difference does it make?  How does the image look
> different?  In a darkened environment, one's eyes will just adapt to the
> lower brightness level and it'll appear pretty normal.  When looking at two
> BVMs side by side (the smaller ones can hit at least 30fL), the difference
> is subtle.  The difference may be extremely subtle if you consider
> adaptation.

This is a TV/video standard.  TVs are most often not viewed in a
completely darkened environment.  TV/video is all about reproduction.
If the viewing conditions are different, then the appearance is
different.  SMPTE has also established standard viewing conditions
which are assumed to represent the average for the target viewing
environment without altering the color balance.

I am not aware of any film standard for brightness and viewing
conditions other than on the big screen with a projector.  So there is
not really a mastering standard for film/cinema.

To make matters more complicated, film/cinema has entered the home as
"home theater" in which the viewing conditions are usually a darkened
environment like in a theater.

Bob