[Tig] LUTs for Video File Codecs - carrots

Jeff Booth jeff.booth
Wed May 3 16:33:12 BST 2006

Let me inject my 10? worth.

A LUT is designed for moving/mapping colour space between calibrated systems. Calibrated systems being the point of this email. If you want a LUT for every WM11/MPEG5/H265 codec (I have intentionally put wrong numbers here to illustrate the plethora of codecs available) then you would need a LUT for every monitor being used to view these files on!

I don't know how many carrots you can get for 10?, but I'm sure it is less than the number of uncalibrated monitors on the planet.

From: tig-bounces at tig.colorist.org [mailto:tig-bounces at tig.colorist.org] On Behalf Of Tim Montgomery
Sent: 03 May 2006 15:10
To: tig at tig.colorist.org; woz
Subject: Re: [Tig] LUTs for Video File Codecs - carrots

I guess the principals of encoding are the debate now.  I'm more concerned with achieving quality no matter what the deliverable is (the deliverable is a client request and not something we can change).  If LUTs are being used to ensure a consistent grade between projected and emitted light, why can't there be a simulation for encoded signals.  I guess I am less concerned with the encoding operation and more concerned with it's effects on the image and how to compensate for it (it's seems to be agreed upon that it does have an effect).

On Wednesday, May 3, 2006 10:55 AM, woz <warrenl at gmail.com> wrote:
>Grading for codec degradation is rather like putting the cart before
>the carrot (I made that last part up because I couldnt quickly think of
>a suitable metaphor).
>The point is that while you should be aware of the effects of  noise
>and detail etc on a particular codec, if your accepted material becomes
>unacceptable because your choice of codec then you should look
>elsewhwere for a suitable codec.
>I will agree that relatively trivial changes such as noise reduction
>might help a little but overall you grade for the look, the codec is
>merely a cart in which to safely carry the carrot (or onion if you prefer).
>However as a general rule, (if you want one) with the type of
>temporal/spatial codecs now in use, the less detail and change of
>detail you have in your pictures, and the lower the resolution, the
>better they will code within a given bitrate.
>
>woz
>itv/3sixtymedia

Soho Images Film Laboratory & Digital Post,
8 - 14 Meard Street, London W1F 0EQ
tel: +44 (0)20 7437 0831
fax: +44 (0)20 7734 9471
web: http://www.sohoimages.com
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, copy, distribute or disclose the e-mail or any part of its contents or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please e-mail the sender by replying to this message. All reasonable precautions have been taken to ensure no viruses are present in this e-mail. Soho Images Film Laboratory & Digital Post cannot accept responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of this e-mail or attachments and recommend that you subject these to your virus checking procedures prior to use.