[Tig] LUTs for Video File Codecs - carrots

woz warrenl
Wed May 3 15:55:37 BST 2006

Grading for codec degradation is rather like putting the cart before the
carrot (I made that last part up because I couldnt quickly think of a
suitable metaphor).
The point is that while you should be aware of the effects of  noise and
detail etc on a particular codec, if your accepted material becomes
unacceptable because your choice of codec then you should look elsewhwere
for a suitable codec.
I will agree that relatively trivial changes such as noise reduction might
help a little but overall you grade for the look, the codec is merely a cart
in which to safely carry the carrot (or onion if you prefer).
However as a general rule, (if you want one) with the type of
temporal/spatial codecs now in use, the less detail and change of detail you
have in your pictures, and the lower the resolution, the better they will
code within a given bitrate.

woz
itv/3sixtymedia