[Tig] da vinci tape-to-tape, then apply to 2k files?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen
Mon May 1 20:49:03 BST 2006

On Mon, 1 May 2006, Jamie wrote:

> The un-color corrected D5 master used as a source for the tape-to-taoe
> session was created from the same tiffs we're looking to apply the color
> list to. I understand that a color list where the client viewed & approved
> the Rec. 709 result is not the same color space as the 16b native 1920x1080
> RGB tifs, but would it be very close?

The sRGB transfer curve is fairly similar to Rec.709 but not exact.
The darker shades will look darker if Rec.709 full-range RGB is
interpreted as sRGB.  See Charles Poynton's "Digital Video and HDTV"
Chapter 23 for info.

If you can find a way to convert your LUTs into ICC color profiles
describing the source space (including the correction) then you can
use an ICC-compliant CMS (e.g. software using LCMS) to create the
16-bit sRGB equivalents.

The Scarse project (http://www.scarse.org/) might be of some
assistance.  I have made use of the Scarse profile library
(http://www.scarse.org/goodies/profiles/) a few times, including for
converting from Rec. 709 YCbCr to sRGB.  I don't see any 1.0 gamma
profiles there though.

Bob