[Tig] 35fL versus 20/22fL - so what's really the difference? and black marks

Dick Hobbs dick
Mon May 1 18:59:46 BST 2006

It's worth remembering that Martin's original comment was a throwaway
joke. I can't find the original quickly, but it was something along
the lines of "sorry there were no giveaways but I spent the money
developing a great new product". That does not sound like flagrant
advertising to me.

Rob's original rules, by which we generally continue to live, were
designed to prevent manufacturers taking over the list with out and
out marketing. That seems to me to be a commendable aim, and one
which we should continue to maintain.

But manufacturers responding briefly to a request for information
from other contributors also seems fair to me. Stuart's recent post
about Grass Valley Bones was probably a bit over the top but not a
huge amount: someone wanted to know how to do something and a
manufacturer came up with at least one answer.

And jokes are always welcome, from whatever source.

Dick Hobbs

Standard disclaimer: I have worked for most manufacturers one way or
another in the past, and with luck I will continue to do so in the
future. The day job remains helping people to communicate clearly and
accurately.

Dick Hobbs
Consultant and writer on television and film technology
+44 1435 830988
Skype DickHobbs
dick at hobbsonline.tv