[Tig] LUTs for Video File Codecs - carrots

Jeff Booth jeff.booth
Wed May 3 17:21:16 BST 2006

I disagree. If the material is intended (say for approval etc.) then I
would doubt that the exec would have a calibrated monitor in their
office.

Suppose it was being viewed at home? On a plasma bought from the local
TV shop?

A cheap CRT?

Agreed, if the viewing conditions were controlled (as they would be in a
facility) then yes, there would be a calibrated monitor available.

From: Adrian Thomas [mailto:adrian at autotv.co.uk]
Sent: 03 May 2006 16:41
To: Jeff Booth
Cc: tig at tig.colorist.org
Subject: Re: [Tig] LUTs for Video File Codecs - carrots

On May 3, 2006, at 16:33, Jeff Booth wrote:

> A LUT is designed for moving/mapping colour space between calibrated
> systems. Calibrated systems being the point of this email. If you want

> a LUT for every WM11/MPEG5/H265 codec (I have intentionally put wrong
> numbers here to illustrate the plethora of codecs available) then you
> would need a LUT for every monitor being used to view these files on!

You'd need no such thing, as modern computer monitors come with ICC
colour profiles which are used by software like Apple's Colorsync to
correct displayed colour - usually within the sRGB standard space.

--
Adrian Thomas
AUTOMATIC TELEVISION

Soho Images Film Laboratory & Digital Post,
8 - 14 Meard Street, London W1F 0EQ
tel: +44 (0)20 7437 0831
fax: +44 (0)20 7734 9471
web: http://www.sohoimages.com
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, copy, distribute or disclose the e-mail or any part of its contents or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please e-mail the sender by replying to this message. All reasonable precautions have been taken to ensure no viruses are present in this e-mail. Soho Images Film Laboratory & Digital Post cannot accept responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of this e-mail or attachments and recommend that you subject these to your virus checking procedures prior to use.