[Tig] LUTs for Video File Codecs - carrots

Adrian Thomas adrian
Wed May 3 17:44:09 BST 2006

On May 3, 2006, at 17:21, Jeff Booth wrote:

> --
> Thanks to oktobor for supporting the TIG
> --
> I disagree. If the material is intended (say for approval etc.) then I
> would doubt that the exec would have a calibrated monitor in their
> office.
>
> Suppose it was being viewed at home? On a plasma bought from the local
> TV shop?

I don't think that many people yet view desktop video on plasma screens.

> A cheap CRT?

Yes, even cheap CRTs have DDC and ICC profiles.

> Agreed, if the viewing conditions were controlled (as they would be
> in a
> facility) then yes, there would be a calibrated monitor available.

I think you rather missed my point, pretty much ALL monitors now have
some kind of automated correction mechanism via MacOS or Windows.
Plug any <5yr old monitor into your run-of-the-mill PC and you'll
discover that your gfx driver had defaulted to that monitors ICC
profile after having identified the monitor via DDC or otherwise.

I was quite surprised myself when I discovered this with a ?100
Relisys CRT some years ago.

--
Adrian Thomas
AUTOMATIC TELEVISION