[Tig] PAL HD

Dan C. Tatut dtatut
Sun May 7 17:45:46 BST 2006

Hi Bryan,

HD is actually a set of signal standards that define frame dimensions and frame rates. There is about 18 of them (if I remember correctly). In order to facilitate migration/adoption, HD signals have compatible frame rates with PAL and NTSC signals. This means that you may have a 1920x1080 signal with 25 frames per second in progressive mode, but you could also have a 50i variation which will give you a "PAL"-like signal with 50 half-frames interlaced.

The same variations would exist for NTSC-like signals (30 fps progressive, but also 29.97 interlaced).

Any modern video I/O board would support pretty much all of them (at least all the variations used by cameras, VTRs, etc).

A good reference is the SMPTE S274 document. Although a bit technial, it gives you the standard information about HD signals.

Best, Dan

Dan Tatut
CEO
CHROME Imaging
105 Rue de Lyon
CH-1203 Geneva
Switzerland

Phone: +41 22 807 23 60
Fax: +41 22 807 23 70
Mobile: +41 78 659 11 04
WWW: http://www.chrome-imaging.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Bryan Stephens [mailto:bigbry at ucla.edu]
Sent: vendredi, 5. mai 2006 23:45
To: tig at tig.colorist.org
Subject: [Tig] PAL HD

I?m having a difficult time finding any info on the difference between PAL
HD and NTSC HD.  Obviously in the SD world there are major differences
between PAL and NTSC but I was under the impression that HD was a format
which would be free of the PAL and NTSC standards.

Please go easy on me for asking a low-level question.

Thank you,

Bryan