[Tig] PAL HD

Rob Lingelbach rob
Sun May 7 18:51:35 BST 2006

On May 7, 2006, at 1:47 , Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> In the US we use the ATSC standards, which encompass various facets
> of delivering HD video.  Countries currently using PAL could chose
> to use the ATSC standard, or they could use some subset of ATSC
> standards along with COFDM to broadcast the signal.

I think it would be great if the acronyms that are more obscure to
non-engineers were defined more often in postings.   Though top
engineers are in the plurality of correspondents
here on the group (which has been an evolution, and has not always
been the case) there are just as many colorists, assistants,
managers, facility coordinators, and the like
for whom the technical language could be more accessible in
postings.   Glossaries are cool but it's a lot easier just to add
(parenthetically) a definition of the latest acronym.
(I count 5 with two repetitions in the above two sentences :] )

for the record:
COFDM = Coded Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing    (which
wins a prize for syllables!)
   reference:  http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/cofdm.htm
ATSC =  Advanced Television Systems Committee        (well hey this
one should probably be pretty well-known by most of us now)
   reference:  http://www.atsc.org

PAL and HD shouldn't need explaining I imagine.

One reason I mention this is that the original question may have
indicated that the questioner (whom I know :] ) may be more
enlightened with a definition of (e.g.) COFDM
(which I had to look up to refresh my own memory).

just 2c worth of comment, etc.
regards
Rob