[Tig] PAL HD

Dan C. Tatut dtatut
Sun May 7 22:09:59 BST 2006

Well, Bob, you are right regarding the technical standards.. Thanks God, there is no US-HD and Europe-HD... they are all the same.

WHat I was trying to say was more regarding the economics of HD rather than the technical part. If economics weren't involved and PAL-based countries weren't taken into consideration, then there would not be any PAL-like HD formats (I mean based on the 50Hz frequencey such as 50i). I cannot see why US would care about 50i and 25p otherwise...

Also in Europe, things are a bit more complex. ATSC is not only about HD but DTV (Digital Television) in general. This involves financial agreements between countries, broadcasters, etc. In Europe this is governed by the EBU not the ATSC...

Anyway, in my opinion, the organizations that initially defined the HD standards missed a huge point: digital television will eventually prevail, and this means that the actual transport of images is radically different from hertzian. The actual decoding and presentation of images could be integrated into TV sets or HD receivers... but again I'm expecting too much.

Regarding HDTV broadcasting in the US, you are perfectly right. But again, the main advantage of the US is a huge unified market speaking the same language.... Europe has this enormous drawback of not being economically united (except the money and some trade rules) and also has a huge barrier with the different spoken languages.

Regarding the HD TV sets, Europe is doing pretty well. I live in Switzerland and in the last few years we had like 30% growth in the aquisition of HD-ready TV sets. The problem is the content. In the US again, you have huge networks like HBO which is capable of filling in the pipes with HD content. In Europe, nada (or almost).

And here is my 2 (euro)cents: As long as European countries consider film making just as an art and not an industry, they will never reach the level of the US film making business (features, TV series, etc)

Best, Dan

Dan Tatut
CEO
CHROME Imaging