[Tig] LUT file format

Jeremy Pollard jeremy.pollard
Thu May 11 02:56:26 BST 2006

Jim Houston wrote:
 > To figure this out correctly you need to work backwards from
 > what they were seeing and then forwards to what you want
 > on your own display device.  This can be fairly complicated
 > and describing it fully is unfortunately beyond what a
 > concise e-mail can handle.

With the appropriate tools, this process of generating a LUT to enable previewing of material as it
appears on another monitor can be quite simple.  Using a suitable probe (colorimeter or
spectrophotometer) and software to take the measurements, you can build a profile of the two
displays in question and then feed these into a tool to generate the required LUT (1D or 3D).

A similar process can be used to apply a LUT that will ensure the material looks correct in a
"standard" colour space (e.g. sRGB, ITU-Rec.709 etc) so that it can be viewed on a reference monitor
or exchanged between facilities without needing to know the specific characteristics of their
displays.  Such LUTs can be generated in a wide range of formats (all of which are quite similar)
for different applications to ensure consistency throughout the pipeline.  We have been doing this
with our cineSpace colour management suite for a number of years.

Vendor "vested interest" disclaimers apply here. :)

Rajesh, I'm happy to discuss this further off-list if you wish.

--
Jeremy Pollard
Rising Sun Research
jeremy.pollard at risingsunresearch.com