[Tig] why vectorscopes aren't that useful for color matching

Rob Lingelbach rob
Sun May 21 05:01:35 BST 2006

On May 21, 2006, at 12:20 , glenn chan wrote:

> In the real world, white can vary depending on the illumination/
> lighting
> conditions.  As well, our eyes typically constantly white balance
> themselves
> (some exceptions) and we do not notice gradual changes in lighting
> conditions.  Because of this, I'd argue that no one will notice
> gradual
> changes in white balance.  Hence doing a fast and imperfect job can
> be the
> best approach.  If it's "accurate enough", it's very difficult to
> tell it
> apart from a perfect job.

I think first you'd need to define white, and in what context you're
calling
white white, and that gradual changes in white balance can be noticed by
certain people, depending on their skill, experience, gender,
environmental
factors; perhaps you meant to say Glenn that "most people will not"
notice
gradual changes in white balance.

The perfectionist may not like your last couple of sentences but it
is (unfortunately,
in my humble opinion) true that speed is often valued more highly
than accuracy,
or, shall we say, art.   It's really nice to work with clients who
understand the
relevance of a phrase like "perfect enough."  (like, if we want to we
can work on these
first two scenes for 3 hours, that's fine with me, but may not be
with the producer, the
scheduling department,  our own stamina and perspective, etc.)

regards
Rob
--
Rob Lingelbach     http://www.colorist.org/robhome.html