Colorist training in US? (was Re: [Tig] color correction in Croatia)

Rob Lingelbach rob
Sun May 28 00:55:47 BST 2006

On May 27, 2006, at 3:50 , Dan C. Tatut wrote:

> Wouldn't it be time to have a sort of Open Colorist Academy
> online??? With a university as huge as the TIG is, full of
> professors and students, it could help a lot of the people in the
> industry.

an exciting idea.  Could you elaborate Dan on how you would make such
a collaborative exercise
work?

I've noticed, in 19 years on the net, that the basic user gets closer
and closer to being real-time... it's a  long way (though the
underlying protocol is the same) from UUCP emails  to MSN Messenger
with live webcam.  (sorry for mentioning Messenger, but I guess it's
ubiquitous).

The more interesting web structures now for me are those that mix
real-time and non-real-time capabilities, through file-locking and
other means; we need to consider in the case of an Open Colorist
Academy on the net that someone in Zagreb may not be available at the
same time someone in LA is giving advice or demonstrations.

So just off the top of my head, I would say the TIG Wiki could be a
place to start; another thought would be, is there any chance that
software manufacturers would be willing to provide multiple
screenshots, (dare I say simulators?? that would be the best, and I
can think of ways to design a server-client structure for low-speed
demo purposes.... how about a simpler idea: tap the monitor output of
"software system" (where "ss" is Lustre, Baselight, Chrome, etc.) and
record some presentation videos to stream on the net from the TIG
wiki?)....

The TIG itself is something of an open academy, and the Wiki takes it
a little further... the idea of an interactive Open Colorist Academy
on the net  just might mean some extra programming time, (it's that
"interactive" part that would consume a bit of time).

--
Rob Lingelbach     http://www.colorist.org/robhome.html
rob at calarts.edu