Colorist training in US? (was Re: [Tig] color correction inCroatia)

Dan C. Tatut dtatut
Sun May 28 01:18:47 BST 2006

Well, yes it's an exciting idea definitely. But ideally it should have a large percentage that is manufacturer independent so people can understand concepts first. For example what should be the first test-project for a junion colorist? What are the basics to understand this infinit world of color?

We can definitely contribute with screenshots and tutorials on how to do this and that on our system. Maybe other manufacturers will participate also.

I once gave a training course on color correction with Photoshop. Initially students did not know what tool to choose in order to correct/adjust a specific tonal range. They tried pretty much the whole list of tools and everyone had his/her solution. As a first step I gave them a crash course of color theory and then explained how each tool works. No algorithms or math (er.. actually yes, just a bit), but the principles.

After they had this explanation concerning the available tools, I presented them different cases where color correction was required and let them correct the image using the tools available and present to the others their strategy.

I think that if colorists understand how the classic tools work, not only can they move from system to system more easily but also unleash their creativity in a better way, like getting faster to the desired result. I'm pretty sure that the professional colorists with years of experience have all their tips and tricks but it took them some time to get to that level.

I know Kevin Shaw wrote a paper (for the DaVinci Academy if I remeber correctly) about the emotional part related to color. This is very important because a colorist is not working for him/herself but he/she rather drives the magic behind a great picture.

Besides the artistic part, a colorist is also very often involved in the technical part (restoration, denosing, etc). Diffrent strategies exist depending on the case.

Dan Tatut
CEO
CHROME Imaging
105 Rue de Lyon