[Tig] HD camera info

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen
Wed May 24 23:27:28 BST 2006

On Thu, 25 May 2006, Ken Robinson wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone could help me regarding a Redlake MotionXtra HG-100k.
>
> I have been asked if it will do better in high definition than 35mm
> transferred at standard definition. My immediate reaction was that
> of course it would be.  I also said that the recording format was
> the weakest link in HDef, compression is what does damage, more than
> the quality of the camera, this is because the Redlake records
> uncompressed to a laptop hard drive.

I am by no means a camera expert but this question and speculative
answer makes my brain hurt.  I see that the MotionXtra HG-100k is a
specialty high frame rate CMOS camera which is capable of capturing
1000 fps.  It is not a normal "high def" camera.  "Standard def" is
only good for 30 or 60 frames per second.  Presumably you would use a
high frame rate 35mm film camera if the intention is to capture a high
frame rate for slow-motion playback.

If the target is standard def, the I would not automatically summarize
that compression is the limiting factor to quality since people seem
quite happy with the quality of DVD video.

You will need to define your intentions better before any reasonable
justments can be made.

Bob