[Tig] Re: color 9300k

Dan Desmet dan
Wed May 24 22:34:26 BST 2006

TVLogic has preset color temperatures of 3200K, 5000K, 5600K, 6500K, 9300K
and one "user" color temperature.

Dan Desmet
Desmet & Associates
TVLogic Distributor for the Americas
dan at dandesmet.com
www.dandesmet.com

-----Original Message-----
From: tig-bounces at tig.colorist.org [mailto:tig-bounces at tig.colorist.org] On
Behalf Of Martin Euredjian
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2006 12:55 PM
To: tig at tig.colorist.org
Subject: Re: [Tig] Re: color 9300k

John,

9300K on a DCM-series monitor is not a problem.  It's
just a LUT.  We've had LUTs four about five years.

The simplest answer, of course, is to give everyone a
million adjustments that cover a billion
possibilities.  That, for better or worst, hasn't been
my philosophy.  I firmly believe that it is important
to have solid references rather than "rubber bands"
for montors.

We had a fully variable 3200K to 10K color temperature
setting in the monitor a year and a half ago.  I took
that out because it was more of a marketing tool than
a reality of actual in-the-field use.  Having so many
adjustments means that you never know what images you
are looking at.  It creates more opportunity for
errors.

Anyhow, as stated privately, reply off-list with your
serial number and we'll take care of the 9300K issue.
This is very simple and it requires no probes or
calibration procedures whatsoever.  The DCM series has
16 calibration LUTs and 16 user LUTs that can be set
to any color temperature or technical need you can
imagine.

Having said that, switching a monitor to 9300K in a
grading room can have undesirable consequences.  There
are other very important considerations that must be
well understood before taking that path.  I have
covered this off list as well.

-Martin Euredjian
 eCinema Systems, Inc.