[Tig] Re: Marconi B3410 Telecine

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Wed Nov 1 15:12:00 GMT 2006

Ted Langdell
Marysville, CA
Main:   (530) 741-1212

Now with 3GHz MacPro powering Final Cut Suite

Hi, Peter and all who have responded through the TIG or offline...

Thanks.

Your comments have been very helpful. Thanks a bunch to TIG reader
David Daniel in Argentina who passed on my query to a/the gentleman
in the UK who maintains and upgrades Marconis.

He e-mailed me and provided some interesting background.

I'm not sure whether I'd run afoul of the advertising rule by
mentioning his name or e-mail address, so I won't unless Rob says
that's OK.  ROB??

The UK engineer tells me that Marconi sold 84 machines from 1985-89
and about 50 are in use around the world.

There were four versions. Ver. 1 had the monitoring overbridge. V2
did not.  V3 and V4 "very much updated" added new capabilities or
improving on others, from what his e-mail indicates.

V3 added variable speed as standard, compared to fixed speeds in the
previous machines. A Lexicon interface was available. V4 was V3
without the overbridge.

He says about 25 machines were initially installed in US , and that
many are still operational. Some of the US machines have found new
homes outside the US.

I can name where two are and two others may be. Where're the rest of
'em?

He says most US machines used Sunburst Secondary Color Correctors,
European facilities preferred daVinci Renaissance or Pandora - Pogle.

Again, thanks all for the information and suggestions.

Ted.

(Not affiliated with or promoting any technical services I may have
mentioned in the course of this e-mail.)