[Tig] Grouping XLR outputs to a stereo signal

Arnell Patscott arnell at cuttersinc.com
Mon Nov 6 15:20:18 GMT 2006

I have found great luck with the Gaines audio products in converting balanced audio to unbalanced audio (-10 to +4 and back).  http://www.gainesaudio.com/

My favorite has been the Gaines 642, which does 2 channels in both directions. For some reason, it is the one product that is omitted on the website. If memory serves me, it is about $200 USD. I have been using dozens of these for 15 years and have not had a failure.

Most times if you call them you can speak to John Gaines, who makes them. He can explain to you why an active circuit is preferred over a transformer, and if correctly designed, will give you great common mode rejection, and allow better low end response, while giving you high impedance input.

I do not work for Gaines, and have no connection, other than being a user of their products.

Arnell Patscott
arnell at cuttersinc.com
"Don't Panic"