[Tig] Oxberry scanners

Saiprasad sai at efxmagic.com
Wed Nov 29 01:12:09 GMT 2006

Well with respect to colorimetry and faithfully translating the 'analog'
data off OCN and recording them out, I have yet to come across a scanner
manufacturer that will actually guarantee that. They all 'say' that we can
create Lut's and all that fancy talk which really means you need "color
scientist" to do some kind of magic. And even then, just scanning a
particular OCN emulsion and recording it straight out has never given us the
exact densities (after DMIN has been subtracted)when compared to the OCN. If
there is someone out there who has actually done that .. I'm sure he will
not be willing to share it. just goes to say that there is still a lot of
talk without any simple solution a manufacturer can provide. With new
emulsions , different labs, recorder drift, makes it harder if not
impossible.

Having said that ... what most manufacturers do is just give us a standard
LUT and leave the rest to us operators to figure out. What most of us do is
try to capture as much of the dynamic range as possible and adjust the
images digitally so that when recorded they will look good on film.

Most film recorders also provide you the ability to record a full range
cineon file as apposed to a 95-685 point setting.

Coming to think of it, remember that all scanners are linear devices. So the
conversion to Log happens downstream. So you can set it up anyway you like.
Why not use more CV's to achieve a look instead of restricting it to 95-685
and leaving the rest for head room.

I think I have confused myself even more now than before ... ;-)

-sai
sai at efxmagic.com
p.s. I'm not upto speed on current developments. If there is something I am
missing, please please let me know.